Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post #8

Pitcure



In the two videos This Is How We Dream Part 1 and This Is How We Dream Part 2 Dr. Richard Miller discusses how writing has changed with all the available technology that we have today. He describes how we can use multimedia to enhance our writing. You can incorporate videos into documents that can be watched and listened to by the reader. He explains how you can use the web to research everything that you will need without even stepping into a library. He says "that now are work-space is the desktop". During this semester while taking EDM 310, I have watched and listen to many videos. This has helped me come to the realization that there is much that can be done right from a desktop.

In the second video he says "We as educators must be in the business of sharing freely". You can create lectures and share them on the internet for millions to view. He admits that there will be inaccessibility issues and other problems that will need to be work out, but his dream can be and should be implemented in the future. I hope that I will continue to learn so that I will be prepared to use tools like multimedia. I think my students will be ready and able to write with multimedia. I believe as a teacher in the near future I will need to be capable of effectively using multimedia technology in the classroom to give my students a great learning environment.



Carly Pugh's Blog Post 12
Carly's Blog Post #12 was excellent. I can tell that she put a lot of thought, time, and effort into her post. In the post, she creates an assignment requiring education students to think about their philosophies on teaching. Her assignment is to create a YouTube playlist with videos explaining their ideas about teaching and how they can be applied. She includes many different videos that explain her visions of being a teacher. Her post is a great example of what Dr. Miller talks about being able to watch and listen using multi-media.
Carly is very excited about becoming a teacher. In her post she states: "Good teachers lead by example" I think that she is very passionate about what she is doing. I also think that she will be a great teacher that will lead by example.


The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies
The Chipper Series video focuses on the the topic of procrastination. The student in the video tells Dr. Strange' "I want you to teach me so I won't have to learn". She really wants to take the easy way out and pass the course without putting forth the required effort. She eventually drops out of school and tries many jobs and adventures. She soon realizes that there is no free lunch and to be successful requires. She decides to go back to school and start over with a new attitude.

EDM310 is a challenging course, because there is a great deal of work that is involved. The weekly assignments require the student to work on a daily basis in order for them to be completed on time. You can not procrastinate in this course if you want to be successful. The two students in the EDM310 for Dummies video were hilarious. The way they were acting was exactly how I felt the first several weeks of EDM310. The video was very informative and describe how there are many sources available to help you suceed in EDM310. I like both of these videos, because they were done by students like myself. I would like to create a video on time management. Good time management skills would help EDM310 students tremendously.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
This video has a group of educators discusing how the world has changed with all the new technology. They explain how teachers can use technology to help students to learn. Basically saying that the current education system just throws out information for the students to memorize. I agree that we do not really prepare students for the skills they need in the workplace. They need to learn how to find information and share information. They need to know how to collaborate with others and to be creative. The majority of students today are already familiar with the internet, social networks, cell phones, and video games. Students today are communicating through email and social networks. If students can use the tools of technology in the classroom they will have fun and become very engaged in learning. They can learn how to solve problems and make improvements to their lives and the world around them.

Scavenger Hunt
WEB 2.0 Tools

Edmodo.com is the community tool that I found and I created an account. It is a social network site where students and teachers can connect with their students and their parents. The teacher can assign homework and the students can complete their assignments and see their grades. The teacher and parents can share comments concerning his or her child. Groups can be set up allowing the teacher to make an announcement where all the members of that group can see it at the same time. Polls can be set up on different topics allowing discussions between classmates. The teacher can also set up quizzes for the students. I believe that Edmodo would be a very effective tool for teachers and students to collaborate and share information and ideas.

My second tool I used was one that you can create your very own comic strip. I think that kids would have fun making comic strips. This is my comic strip Elvis the Pelvis I use the tool Make Beliefs Comix to make it.

The third tool I used was Poll Everywhere. I created a poll and asked the question: Which came first the chicken or the egg? This tool could be used in the class room to get discussions between classmates. You could ask students their opinions on subjects related to the class or even what they think about your teaching methods.


3 comments:

  1. Hey James! Glad to see I can comment now! Haha. You had a very well written and thought out post. I also did a poll and a comic strip. I thought these were fun things to learn where they are and how to use them. I think you have a great blog and are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the great work!
    Jessica Scarpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    Keep up the great work. I am glad that you are on top of everything that we have asked you to do this semester. It is a lot to think about but you are doing awesome!

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Jessica and Rebekah and thanks for all your help with the Short Movie Project Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete