Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog Post #4

Learn to speak French


The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom By Joe Dale

In this video it clearly demonstrates why podcasting is so beneficial in the classroom. The video brought out some very interesting points that have helped me to realize how podcasting can be a very effective tool for education. I learned a new term that I was not aware of and that was the term Millennial. A Millennial is typically anyone born after 1980. All the students born after 1980 have never experienced a world without technology. These children have used computers, video games, T.V., phones and so much more then children prior to 1980. Children today are very accustomed to modern technology and podcasting is a form of learning that would be very exciting to them. I know that my seven year old loves to steal my iphone to record his voice in different ways and then listen to the recordings.

I also learned that a vodcast is a podcast with video. In addition to the teacher using podcasts, students can also create podcasts. Creating podcasts would be more of a project based type of learning instead of memorizing information from a book. Creating podcasts would allow students to increase their thinking and creativity skills. Podcasting is an effective way to interact with students outside the classroom. For example if a student is sick and can't make it to class they can listen to a lesson plan at home. Also the parents can listen to the podcast and be more informed on their children's education. I know as a student myself I would like the fact that you could play the podcast over and over again to pick up anything you might have missed. In a classroom that has a limited amount of time you may miss out on some important information from a lecture, but being able to replay the podcast you could ensure that you understand everything completely. I think podcasting will have a very important role in modern education.


Children making a podcast


Judy Scharf's Podcast Collection
The information provided by Judy Scharf on this link was very informative. She explains what a podcast is and how it can be listened to on a computer or an MP3 player. She also makes a point that podcasting can be used to share information to large numbers of people via the internet.She also explains about the equipment that you would need. She also provides a link How to Create a Podcast which shows you step by step instructions how to make your own podcast.

I listened to some podcasts on the website made by students in grades 6-8 and all of them were really good. I think podcasting would be a very good learning tool to use in the classroom and I think students would have fun doing it. When kids are having fun they are motivated. Keeping students motivated is very importatnt in the classroom. Before I started taking this class I did not even know anything about podcasting. I think that Judy Scharf's Podcast collection will help me tremendously in my upcoming assignment for making a podcast..


ipod
100-Ways To Use Your Ipod To Learn And Study Better

Several years ago I bought an ipod shuffle and I loved using it while exercising. It was amazing that something so small and lightweight could hold so much music and have such great sound quality. Now that have read the article 100 ways to use your ipod to learn and study better I want to go out and buy one for school. I was amazed at all the different things that you can do with an ipod. This article also included several links to learn how to do podcasts. The Learning Podcasting tutorial gives you detailed information that you can use to to learn all about podcasting. I will use the information from the link to help me with my upcoming podcast assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Hello James,

    Yay! You have the ALT and TITLE tags with your images and you have clickable link! :D I'm so proud. Now, I better not hear you asking one of us lab assistants how to do those things because now we know you can do it. :)

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete